Friday, August 30, 2013

Weekend Baking - Lemon Slice

Hello and Happy Friday!!!
We have some weekend baking here today. Well, weekend no-bake baking to be exact, and to be even more exact...this is flippin' delicious!!!

                                                                                     


So, this all began last week when, mid-cake-cooking mind you, my oven decided to bust it's element and just completely stopped. I went into slight panic mode at the thought of not being able to bake until it was fixed but then, once calm and breathing resumed, I realized I could in fact conquer this first-world disaster with the simple art of.......the no-bake bake!! And this particular no-bake bake has now been non-baked about 50 times in the past week. Well, at three times I'm sure.

                                                                               


Yep...we're talking good old Lemon Slice.........

                                                                               



The recipe I used I found here but I did, typically, do a few things differently.
Right then...let's get baking....in a no-bake kind of way..............

                                                                         Lemon Slice                                                            
Ingredients.......

1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
100gms butter
1 packet marie biscuits
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
Rind of 1 lemon, finely grated

Method................

1. Crush the biscuits either using a food processor or I often throw the biscuits in a ziplock sandwich bag then roll and smash those biscuits into crumbs.

2. Combine the biscuit crumbs with your coconut and lemon rind.
                                                                
3. In a small saucepan gently melt the butter and condensed milk.

4. Add the butter mixture to the biscuit mixture and combine it all together.

5. Tip and press the biscuit mix into a greased (actually I didn't even bother to grease my last batch and it came out of the tin fine) slice tin. Although, if you like to pull your whole slice out of the tin at once then of course line it first with baking paper.

6. Refrigerate for about 1 hour or until it's cool and firm.

7. Ice with lemon icing. To be honest I don't actually have a recipe for icing. Never have. I just throw some icing sugar in a bowl with a smallish dob of butter and vanilla extract then keep adding hot/boiled water and more icing sugar until I have the right amount and consistency. For this lemon slice I squeezed in the juice of the lemon, that was still hanging around from grating the rind earlier, into the icing mix at the start. Next time I whip up a batch of icing I shall try and measure things and see what I come up with. It's all soooo professional around here.....

8. Spread your icing over your slice, allow to set, then try and stop eating it.

9. Bet you can't!!??!!!

                                                                                   

                                                                                   
Please let me know if you try this. And if you're as addicted to it as me!!!

                                                                                 



Now go and have a fabulous weekend!!...............

                                                                               


I'm off to eat slice................

See you soon...............


                                         Janelle  xx                                                                              
                                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment