It's Sunday arvo here...we had a late start to the day..after a late - for me - end to yesterday...so it seems we've kind of been playing catch up all day...and the day is now almost over!!?! Anyone else always dream/promise themselves that Sunday WILL be the day of rest..the day for snuggling in front of the fire..on the sofa...pjs still firmly on...cuppa even more firmly in hands..indulging in endless piles of books, mags, craft, sleeps...just moving only when absolutely necessary and then only as far as the kitchen to grab more snacks..and cuppas...possibly wine??!?
AND YET!!! This NEVER seems to happen!!! Well...certainly not around this house anyway....
However...I'm honestly not complaining...well...not very much at least...we usually do get to all hang out together as a fam and...noise, arguments, whining etc etc aside..generally do take things at a slightly slower pace..amongst catching up on washing..organising for the coming week...trying to find some floor space amongst the chaos.....you know...the usual usual....
Aaaaannnyway.....the main reason I have popped in here today is to share a quick easy TASTY..of course ;)...cookie recipe with you guys. The original source of these little babies is a fab Donna Hay cookbook for kids "Cool Kids Cook" which my kids' pulled out and flicked through whilst on their recent school hols. There I was...busy in the lounge sweating grunting gasping for air in front of the TV trying to keep up with a Ricky Martin sounding Brazilian who has promised to make my butt look better than I can ever imagine...???!!!....yep......when they decided to start chatting to me about what they might feel like baking....to which my barely audible response was something along the lines of ANYTHING!!!
So. Before I know it I have an extremely sore buttocks and they have finished baking a batch of Thumbprint Cookies. Apparently there was a little miscommunication regarding the amounts and types of flours used but all credit due...they turned out really tasty biscuits!! Which is when...once the blood had been restored back to my brain...I thought of you lovely folks and that maybe you could do with what is a fantastic plain basic easy-as cookie recipe to have up your sleeves.
Of course I couldn't leave things too simple so I have adjusted the original recipe and added, subtracted, messed about with measurements and ingredients and as of our last batch things are tasting pretty damn GOOOOOOD!!!!
Goodness...this has all been a little long-winded hasn't it?! If you've actually gotten this far into the post then you pretty much deserve to have these baked and served up to you...but hows about I just start by giving you the recipe?? Yep? Ok......let's go.....
Yep....had to mess about with the name too.....
180 grams butter - softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup Pl flour - sifted
3/4 cup SR flour - sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla
Sprinkles - lots of
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees - probs more like 160 degrees if fan-forced
2. Beat together the butter and sugar until all pale and creamy
3. Throw in the egg and vanilla and continue to beat for abit
4. Now stir in your sifted flours and the mixture turns into a dough.
5. Grab your lined baking trays and roll dough into balls - roughly a good tablspn size - flatten slightly with your hand and then poke your thumb in the centre - don't go right through the bottom though
6. Fill the hole with sprinkles
7. Ignore sprinkles that are quite likely rolling all about your benchtop and floor
8. Pop in the oven for approx 10-12 minutes
9. Once cooked take them out of the oven and let cool slightly on their trays before popping them onto your cooling rack to cool completely
10. Although I must recommend scoffing a few whilst they're still warm...DELISH!!
So there we have it...biscuits, sprinkles, scoffing....what more could we ask for late on a Sunday afternoon...or any afternoon really...even if that afternoon was morning...just go into your kitchen now and whip up a batch...then you'll catch my drift....
Hope you all have a fab week...let me know if you try these...or even send me a pic on Instagram (awhitestyle over there) I love seeing pics of my recipes baked up...the BEST!!!
Happy Baking...and catch ya soon....